This is my first recipe from the Magnolia Table Vol. 2 cookbook by Joanna Gaines. It was honestly, pretty difficult to master. Especially for someone like me who isn't much of a baker. Below is the recipe, instructions, and details of my demise.
1. In a small saucepan, whisk together the granulated sugar and eggs until well blended. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly. until the mixture reaches 160°F and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and vanilla and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool for approximately 5 minutes.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on a medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and beat on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. In another large bowl, beat the cream on medium-high speed until it begins to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and beat on low speed, then gradually return to medium-high until stiff peaks form. Fold into the chocolate mixture.
4. Pour into prebaked piecrust. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
5. Garnish with whipped cream and shaved chocolate, if desired.
6. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.